This dish is perfect for those who love juicy and flavourful chicken with crispy skin, combined with a refreshing salad and a creamy, nutty dressing. It's the perfect meal for a summer BBQ or a relaxed weeknight dinner. So grab your apron and let's get cooking!
Ingredients for four servings:
- 1.3kg spatchcock chicken
- Olive oil
- 4 tomatoes
- ½ small red onion
- ½ cucumber
- 1-2 red chilli
- 200g pineapple
- Sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cold water
- Drizzle the chicken with oil and season with salt/pepper or your favourite BBQ rub.
- Grill chicken skin side up @ 180°C for approximately 15 mins on direct heat.
- Flip the chicken and cook skin side down for 8-10 mins or until internal temp of chicken is approx. 73°C.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before carving.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl or jar and either whisk or shake to combine.
- Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Slice the cucumber finely at an angle, slice the onion finely, chop the tomatoes into 1/8’s and slice the chilli.
- Peel the cucumber and slice 2 slices approx. 1 cm thick and grill for 2 minutes per side. Once cooked, slice into matchsticks.
- Toss all the salad ingredients together and drizzle with a little of the dressing, leaving the rest on the side for guests to add.
- If you don’t have a BBQ you can cook the chicken in the oven instead. Cook skin side up for approx. 25-30 mins or until internal temp is approx. 73°C.
- You can prepare the salad ingredients in advance except the pineapple but don’t combine them all until serving.
- Substitute grilled chicken thighs if you don’t want a whole chicken.
- Always let your meat rest before carving – this helps to retain it’s moisture.